Swiss company to build electrical equipment plant in Uzbekistan

TASHKENT (TCA) — Tanotrade AG company of Switzerland plans to build an electrical equipment manufacturing plant, Nukuselektroapparat, in Nukus, the main city of Uzbekistan’s northwestern Karakalpakstan autonomous region, the Jahon information agency reported.

The total cost of the project, which is scheduled for completion late in August, makes up $8 million. Toshelektroapparat will partner the project from the Uzbek side. 

The Swiss side will invest about 80 percent of the investment needed to start the enterprise, and the Uzbek partner will contribute the remaining 20 percent.

In September, it is planned to launch the production of modern energy-saving equipment with further expansion of the range of products and localization of a part of the components.

The president of Uzbekistan has granted the new enterprise a broad list of customs privileges. In particular, it is exempted from customs payments for construction materials needed for the construction of the plant. In addition, Nukuselektroapparat has been exempted from customs payments for equipment, raw materials, materials and components imported for the production of finished products, until 2024.

In other news from Karakalpakstan, the Karakalpak cement plant has started its work in the region’s Qoraozak District. The enterprise will produce cement from local raw materials, Jahon reported.

At the first phase of this 40 million dollar project, 17 million dollars worth of investments were used. 200 people were provided with jobs.

“The overall production capacity of our enterprise is 1.2 million tons of cement a year. This project will be implemented in three phases. The first phase has been completed. The second phase will be implemented by the end of this year. The production capacity of this plant will double. The third and final phase will be completed in 2018 and will make it possible to produce an additional 700 thousand tons of cement. Cement will also be exported,” said Anvar Shukurov, the director of the enterprise.

Sergey Kwan

TCA

Sergey Kwan has worked for The Times of Central Asia as a journalist, translator and editor since its foundation in March 1999. Prior to this, from 1996-1997, he worked as a translator at The Kyrgyzstan Chronicle, and from 1997-1999, as a translator at The Central Asian Post.
divider
Kwan studied at the Bishkek Polytechnic Institute from 1990-1994, before completing his training in print journalism in Denmark.

View more articles fromTCA