Eight higher education institutions in Turkmenistan were included in the UI Green-Metric World University Rankings, published in 2023. These rankings measure the desire of universities to improve their environmental infrastructure and their contribution to sustainable development in the field of environmental protection, The Golden Age reported.
Universities are evaluated according to six indicators:
- University infrastructure and its impact on the environment
- Indicators of energy consumption and savings
- Waste recycling
- Environmental education and research
- Rational use of water resources
- Transport policy
The Engineering and Technological University of Turkmenistan, Oguzkhan was named the leader among Turkmen universities, taking 432nd place, scoring a total of 6,660 points and demonstrating good results in all assessment criteria. In second place was the S.A. Niyazov Turkmen Agricultural University, which came 456th.
This year, five universities in Turkmenistan were included in the UI Green-Metric rankings for the first time:
- S.A. Niyazov Turkmen Agricultural University
- Y. Kakaev International University of Oil and Gas
- State Energy Institute of Turkmenistan
- Turkmen Agricultural Institute
- Turkmen State Institute of Finance
Every year, universities provide relevant data to participate in the ranking, which is researched and analyzed by independent international experts, specialists, and scientists. The UI Green-Metric rankings have been compiled by the University of Indonesia since 2010. This year, 1,183 universities from 85 countries were included.